Sales lead generation which is rather important for any B2B has become a highly specialized and professional area of knowledge and practice that demands certain skills and trained teams to set it up and run. Grappling with how to get leads that will benefit your business, many companies start to realize that filling the pipeline with top-quality leads is an unending process. Let’s examine the term ‘lead generator,’ what this role means for a sales team, and learn some quick tips about the related processes.
What is a B2B lead generator?
To answer this question, let’s address the widely used B2B lead generation marketing. The semantics of ‘lead generator’ refer both to something or someone that generates prospects and leads to be later converted into sales.
What is a lead generator in a broader sense? An agency that has human and technical resources to source leads can be called a B2B lead generator. A website set up for a business is one of the lead generation methods as it drives leads to the sales funnel.
What is a Lead Generation Specialist?
This career is pursued by a specialist skilled in capturing and nurturing B2B leads. Usually referred to as SDRs, marketers, or lead researchers, lead generators find and qualify leads, look up information on them to come up with shared interests in your email outreach and cold calls, and develop those leads throughout the entire sales cycle.
Thus, a marketer or sales rep who brings in qualified leads for a business ought to know the intricacies of lead generation at scale, the difference between outbound and inbound lead generation, how to turn a blog or landing page into a lead generator, and so on.
What are the key skills of a successful B2B lead generator?
What is required of a lead generation specialist includes a firm grip of CRM and sales enablement software, important social media skills, and, at least, a dash of empathy to approach leads on a personal level rather than selling hard right away. The top skills of a lead generator include:
- Analytical skills. SDRs use analysis at almost every stage of the lead generation process. From lead sourcing to personalizing outreach, reps analyze past deals and existing customer data and buyer personas, plan cold outreach, and adjust their strategy based on feedback and response. The analysis is needed to read metrics and analytical data and select the most promising leads.
- Targeting skills. Being able to target the ripe lead is an important skill for sales reps. Upon seeing at what stage of the buyer’s journey the lead is, the lead generator’s efforts will target the goal with more precision. Targeting means the effective personalization of your outreach.
- Social media skills. Social selling is essential to today’s lead generation activities. The most progressive and advanced SDRs go to LinkedIn to find leads there and warm them up by reaching out to them in DM and in comments. If you are good at social media communication, you won’t find it hard to generate qualified leads by using LinkedIn Sales Navigator and interact with your target audience in posts and comment sections. Social media provide ample opportunities to establish rapport with your leads before turning them into new clients. For example, start your lead generation efforts by finding out the major pain of your leads by reading their comments on LinkedIn.
- Understanding the customer. Even when the product solves a limited range of problems, SDRs may find an unlimited number of approaches to new leads. That’s why personalization is so crucial these days: You never know what exactly will work out for this particular lead. Therefore, you definitely use your knowledge of the Ideal Customer Profile and buyer personas, but, at the same time, you should look deeper to understand a lead you are establishing a relationship with. In particular, you need to know their exact role, location, industry, degree of decision-making, budget constraints, etc.
Lead generator tips for top-notch business-to-business lead generation
For a lead generator’s role to make an impact, there should be the right conditions, equipment, and instructions. Here’s a list of quick tips to ensure that your lead generation process is on the right track.
- Ideal Customer Profiles ought to be developed. The more precise ICPs are developed, the better match sales reps will find. The job of lead generators is to qualify new leads against the already developed ICPs. Weak leads won’t even make it further along the sales funnel and won’t waste the team’s time.
- The distinction between intent and interest should be made. That’s where analytic skills come in handy. It is essential to tell genuine intent to buy from mere ‘browsing the web’ and general interest. If the leads are more interested in educational content rather than free trials and demos, they are not sales-ready, and it’s better to leave them in the pipeline to ripe.
- The lead’s level of decision-making is essential. There’s hardly anything more vexing than a nurtured lead who is not a decision-maker. Make sure you know the lead’s level of influence in the company.
- Personalization should include the lead’s online presence. Checking out the lead’s website and social media is something not even worth mentioning. It’s mandatory. That’s the first layer of personalization that will reveal if the lead is a good fit or not.
- Avoiding multi-sell is recommended. It is especially true for account-based marketing when you can find out that the company has been approached by several reps from your team. Your inner sales enablement tool will reveal if you’re in the middle of multi-sell.
Benefits of hiring new lead generation specialists
A company’s growth is impossible without a steady stream of fresh leads. What matters is that heads of marketing and sales decide on the workload and hire a lead generation specialist or two to keep up with the company’s monthly lead generation goals.
Let’s quickly recap why a business that already has a sales team will benefit from hiring a new specialist specifically for lead generation.
- Reps will focus only on closing
- The company’s pipeline will be topped off with qualified leads
- ROI will increase
- Revenue will grow
Facing the problem of insufficient lead volume, some companies prefer to outsource and perform B2B sales lead generation with Belkins. If you find yourself among them, give us a holler.