Simply put, the head of sales is someone who is in charge of everything that drives business and revenue to a company. A person in this role is expected to define the core KPIs and goals of a sales team. Some other duties include analyzing market behavior, customer patterns, and building effective action strategies to optimize sales performance.
This job is very data-driven. Therefore, to succeed in this role, one must have a deep understanding of the customers’ needs, market, and competitive environment, and being able to analyze all this data to leverage it for boosting the outcomes of sales activities.
As a rule, a director of sales job description encompasses the following core duties:
- Creating, developing, and coordinating the implementation of data-driven action strategies aimed at developing business and achieving sales targets
- Defining the KPIs and sales targets for all members of a company’s sales department
- Forecasting sales and developing sales plans
- Creating reports on sales targets and KPIs for upper management (for further use of this data for budget setting, organizational planning, strategic planning, and financial forecasting)
- Collaborating with a variety of departments (including marketing, engineering, and product teams)
- Building and developing relationships with a company’s key clients and fostering high-value partnerships
- Closing the largest deals