What is a sales consultant?
In a nutshell, a sales consultant’s job description is all about communicating with a company's customers. Similarly, a sales representative (SDR) is a person who is responsible for finding and informing clients about a product or service. To better understand what a sales consultant does, this professional excels at:
- Finding and meeting new clients.
- Communicating with pre-existing customers.
- Explaining product features to the business's clients.
- Providing customers with a comprehensive demonstration or training for the product or service.
- Creating and maintaining a strong relationship with a company's customer base.
This is in a few words what a sales consultant is. Let us dive deeper into what this expert does for a company and what a day at work looks like for this job position.
What does a sales consultant do?
When it comes to the sales consultant’s duties and responsibilities, they are pretty clear. This professional is persuasive and markets your company's products in an efficient manner. So, if you are looking to hire a sales consultant, you should look for certain qualities.
You can think of the sales consultant as a direct link between your business and your customers. But that's not all there is to it. A talented professional is also useful when it comes to analyzing your company's sales strategies. Such a professional will identify potential weaknesses in your sales policies and suggest innovative solutions.
In any case, when it comes to promoting your brand, it’s essential to have a team of talented sales consultants. But what exactly are the sales consultant’s responsibilities?
Sales consultant’s duties
Top-notch professionals working in this field possess certain skills that help them be profitable for your business. In fact, this role is extremely flexible. That said, the main responsibilities of a sales consultant are as follows:
- To have a deep understanding of how a company's products/services work.
- To become an expert in answering questions about the services and products.
- To understand the needs of each customer and suggest specific products/services to them.
- To build a solid relationship with customers when presenting the company's products.
- To identify new opportunities that arise from the customer’s needs (trends).
- To provide top-notch customer service and advertising via phone, email, social media, etc.
- To research sales statistics and adjust sales strategies accordingly.
- To identify potential clients and generate new leads for the business.
Skills and education
So, since sales are critical to the success of your business and are key to generating new leads, it's important to know what qualifications you should ask for. Therefore, let us take a look at the necessary skills and education that a sales consultant must have.
When hiring a sales consultant, you should ask about the following skills:
- 1+ years of experience in a marketing or sales position.
- Experience in promoting products/services to new clients.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to deliver persuasive presentations.
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines and sales goals.
- Ability to understand what the customer needs.
- Knowledge of software such as PowerPoint, Salesforce, and Word.
Those attributes will help the person build a good relationship with your company's customers and, therefore, excel in this position. This is why interviewing a sales consultant is a crucial step in the hiring process.
Aside from the skills and qualities that this job demands, there are also some education and training requirements. You should make sure that your applicants have the academic background required for this job before the interview stage.
Here’s what a professional sales consultant should possess:
- A high school diploma and/or an associate’s degree in sales and marketing or a relevant field (advertising or accounting).
- Knowledge of computer software.
Of course, a college degree in marketing (Bachelor's or Master's) is a great advantage for this position. With such a strong background, you can easily apply for the job. This is simply the best way to build a group of top-notch sales consultants.
Need top-notch sales professionals to help your company get high-quality prospects? Describe your needs in a request, and Belkins experts will get back to you soon with great leads for business.