In a nutshell, a sales engineer’s role is very similar to the job of any other salesperson. The key goal of these specialists is to sell a company’s products or services to customers. However, compared to other sales job opening, a typical sales engineer job description requires candidates to have an in-depth knowledge of the product’s or service’s parts and features.
Sales engineers are in charge of selling the most technologically and scientifically advanced products. Therefore, they must well understand the scientific and technical processes that make these products work.
Having a solid scientific or technological background, sales engineers can explain the essence and benefits of the products and services they offer. Most of the sales engineers’ responsibilities are similar to those of a regular salesperson. They need to understand the customers’ needs, provide them with a relevant and interesting offer, inform customers about the products, negotiate a price, and close a deal. The biggest distinctive feature of sales engineers is that they focus on more complex, technical aspects of the products.
Additionally, sales engineers may perform market research, modify the products or services to tailor them to customers’ specific needs, and may even participate in identifying and developing new products.
A typical sales engineer job description outlines the following duties:
- Preparing all-round presentations of a company’s products or services that explain the technical aspects and delivering these presentations to existing and potential clients.
- Selling the most technologically and scientifically advanced products.
- Communicate with customers and engineers to evaluate equipment needs.
- Cooperating with sales teams to identify clients’ requirements and provide sales support.
- Modifying the products or services according to the customers’ specific needs.
- Addressing clients’ questions regarding the products and helping them solve any issues with a company’s products or services.
- Helping the team in identifying and developing new products.