According to a sales lead job description, a sales lead is a top member of a sales team whose role is to generate new business through consistent managerial effort. A sales lead role can be both online and offline. In case it is an offline position, a specialist is being assigned to a specific retail location and becomes responsible for sales in that location. In the case of an online position, a sales lead becomes responsible for a specific web-based store and sales generated through it.
Basically, the goal of a sales lead is to increase sales volume and lead a sales team. As a rule, a sales lead is a kind of a transitional point for sales specialists. Often, sales leads are retail sales workers who have been promoted. From the employer’s viewpoint, a sales lead position is an opportunity to see whether a particular employee has the potential to take a managerial position in the future.
If we look at a standard sales lead job description, the key functions of this role will include:
- Performing basic duties of a salesperson (e.g. communicating with customers, setting up displays, stocking shelves, etc.).
- Assigning duties to other team members and managing their schedules.
- Addressing the customers’ problems that cannot be resolved by another sales worker.
- Evaluating the work and performance of the team and providing constructive feedback on it.
- Recruiting and training new employees.
- Maintaining inventory and taking care of the paperwork.
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with customers.
- Providing an excellent shopping experience and ensuring customer satisfaction.
Sales leader salary in the US 2022