In a nutshell, a sales operations manager is someone who ensures smooth operations in a sales team. This is a specialist whose ultimate goal is to help a company’s sales team perform efficiently and succeed.
A sales operations manager can perform a variety of roles and duties. However, if we were to outline the core responsibilities, a standard sales operations manager job description typically includes:
- Managing CRM data (i.e. keeping it lean, deleting duplicate business leads, etc.).
- Assessing and implementing the right sales technology to boost a team’s productivity.
- Assisting leaders from the sales department to make better, data-driven decisions.
- Cooperating with a marketing department to enable the sales force.
- Helping a sales team to leverage marketing content wisely.
- Supervising a team of sales operations specialists.
These are only some of the most vital functions of a sales operations manager. In fact, the roles applicable to this position keep expanding further. Yet, the key goal of sales operations managers is to reduce friction in the sales process to ensure that the sales team can be successful in its daily activities.
As a rule, to apply for this position, a candidate is required to hold at least a Bachelor’s degree or higher. Also, employers often expect their sales operations managers to have prior experience in b2b outside sales. Some of the key skills required to succeed in this position are:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Business acumen.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Hands-on experience in program and pipeline management.
- Deep understanding of CRM.