In a nutshell, a sales specialist is a professional responsible for increasing the sales volume and ensuring overall business growth. First and foremost, the mission of a sales specialist is to know and understand what products and services a company offer, how they work, and how customers can benefit from them.
Often, sales specialists are assigned to a specific sales territory. They may have to travel across the designated area to meet with current and potential customers to build relationships and drive sales.
These specialists are also expected to have an in-depth understanding of a company’s ideal customer, their needs, and challenges. A sales specialist is someone who knows exactly what a company’s prospects need and how to communicate with them to facilitate sales.
The core duty of every sales specialist is to educate existing customers and prospects about a company and its products. When needed, sales specialists are also responsible for explaining the products’ or services’ features and benefits. The main goal is to encourage a client to make a purchase.
In some cases, a sales specialist may be required to forecast potential sales and ensure that sales targets are met. Also, they might be expected to participate in researching and analyzing emerging trends, preparing marketing budgets, and lead the sales force.
In a standard sales specialist job description the following duties may be found:
- Leading and coordinating the work of the sales team.
- Researching trends and analyzing them.
- Traveling across the assigned area to meet with current and potential customers.
- Informing customers and prospects about a company and its products.
- Helping customers to find the right products to match their needs.
- Explaining the products’ or services’ features and benefits.
- Driving sales.
- Addressing customer complaints.
- Building and maintaining positive customer relationships and ensuring their satisfaction.