A sales strategist is a professional with an excellent understanding of sales operations, markets, and trends, who is responsible for shaping and implementing solid sales strategies to drive sales to the business.
In a nutshell, a sales strategist’s mission is to figure out the best ways to engage prospects and existing clients to increase the sales volume and drive more revenue.
A typical sales strategist job description includes such duties as:
- Researching markets and trends.
- Setting goals and quotas.
- Leveraging the best sales techniques.
- Generating new trade ideas
- Helping a sales team to meet their objectives and succeed.
A successful sales strategist is expected to have an excellent understanding of a company’s ideal buyer persona. They are supposed to define the key needs, wishes, and problems of the potential customers, understand how to communicate with them, and engage them. And, most importantly, a sales strategist should understand how to shape the right offers that can solve the challenges of a potential customer. Also, a sales strategist should know how to manage the expectations of both customers and the sales force.
To land a position of a sales strategist in a b2b internet marketing agency, for example, a person is typically required to have a Bachelors’s or Master’s degree in Marketing, Business, or related fields. In addition, most employers require candidates to have 3+ years of experience.
Some of the key skills and knowledge required for this job include:
- Responsible sales planning and counseling.
- Innovative thinking and creativity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Deep understanding of a variety of industries and markets.
- Understanding customers’ needs.
- Analytical thinking.